What I eat in a day


My biggest struggle when I'm in diet mode is deciding what to eat. I can sit for hours flicking through recipe books to find something that will do, but the truth is I need something quick and easy. 

As much as I'd love smashed avocado on rye bread toast with vine tomatoes seasoned with salt, pepper and a little chilli to spice it up, accompanied by a perfectly poached egg that's just the right level of runny when I slide my knife through it. Oh... and a perfectly coloured smoothie in a mason jar to make it oh so aesthetically pleasing and totes insta-worthy, I just don't have the time or patience to do that.

I need something I can grab as I walk out the door in the morning that will survive in the microwave at work and make all my colleagues well jel.

The best thing I ever learned to do was food prep. I know what you’re thinking… not another food prep monster that’s going to tell me that tupperware is my new best friend! But honestly, tupperware is your new best friend.

Breakfast: Grab a box, throw in a couple of scoops of oats (screw proper measurements), a sprinkle of cinnamon and a vanilla flavoured protein powder. Just add milk and voila – a beautifully healthy and fibre filled breakfast to keep you going.

Lunch: Nowadays, I spend every Sunday in the kitchen preparing my lunch for the coming week. Usually, it’s some type of meat / fish. My fave is chicken because it’s just easy isn’t it. Season it to your liking. I’m talking, paprika, chilli powder, Himalayan salt and lemon juice and throw it on a bed of roastable veg. My usuals are carrots, leeks, cherry tomatoes (a fruit, but oh well it still counts), bell peppers, asparagus… anything! Pop it in the oven for half an hour and you have yourself a beaut little lunch. Just remember to cook this in bulk so that you can box it up, throw it in the freezer and take it out on the morning of the day you want to eat it. By lunch time it should have defrosted and just a blast it in the microwave will do the trick. Splendid.

Dinner: My favourite thing to eat for dinner is Fish cakes, fried tenderstem broccoli, vine tomatoes and sweet potato fries. Probably a weird combo to some but to me it’s bloody lovely. I try to eat a lot of green dinners if I can. I rarely do carbs – only potato if completely necessary. 


Snacks: Fruit – bananas 45 mins before I train are a winner. Instant energy boost! My other favourite snack is rice cakes and peanut butter. Nut butter is a way of getting some good fats into your belly and are totally acceptable.

That's pretty much what I eat in a day. I accompany all this with at least 2l of water which stops me snacking as much as I would if I had free reign. Pretty easy, but very tasty and efficient. This works for me. I've tried and tested lots of different meals and found this one to be the best. 

Comments